Friday 19 July 2013

Vintage crackle day dreams...

Last week I was fortunate enough to be asked to do a step-by-step encaustic art project for "Die Burger: In en om die huis". My studio is also home to the Pics 'n Tales classroom - with scrapbooking layouts displayed everywhere - and they wondered what I could do with some handmade vintage crackle paper. To see what I came up with, get a copy of the July issue of Die Burger: In en om die huis. 

The rich rusty tones of the paper and a sepia picture of my daughter, Electra inspired me to do this single page layout:



I used the piece of the handmade vintage crackle paper and dictionary paper layered behind the photograph on a card-stock background, stencilled with a hot air-balloon image in textured paint and glimmer mist. I also stamped using an italic script and smaller balloons stamps randomly, in brown ink.


To embellish I punched various sized circles from the handmade vintage crackle paper and dictionary paper, to emphasise the theme. 


The silver chipboard alphabet letters for the title was sprayed with glimmer mist (Heirloom Gold) and chalked with brown chalk.



I then built a flower cluster to bring in colour and added some bling and a miniature film strip to finish the layout off.

I really enjoyed the unstructured and artistic process of this layout, using the handmade vintage crackle paper, stamping and textured paint. These techniques tie in beautifully with this month's Pics 'n Tales class.



No comments:

Post a Comment